Monday, August 15, 2005

Tale Of 2 Games

For this post names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Saturday the Boss and I switched positions at the stadium. I worked the main matrix (big) board, while he was on aux (small) matrix. This was so I could get a refresher course on the big board for Sundays game when I was scheduled on it with the Hebrew Hammer working aux. I've only worked the big board 2 times, so I was eager for another crack at it.

[Now the Hebrew Hammer is a good guy, but has a reputation of talking a lot during the game and not paying attention. As a result it puts more pressure on main matrix when running the show with him at your side. Since I started working at the stadium I've realized it's a well deserved reputation. But he is a good guy.]

Saturday's game didn't go as well as I hoped. I missed a few things, and in total I made four mistakes during the course of the game. I was pissed off at myself for fucking up so much. I didn't get yelled at or anything like that for the mistakes, but they were mistakes nonetheless.
I was confident I could run the board correctly, but at the same time nervous about what Sunday would bring.

The next day I got to the stadium 30 minutes early to get a hold of the scripts as soon as possible. I carefully reviewed the PA (Public Announcement) & game scripts, built my menus, line-ups and was ready to go by game time. Pre-game went off without a hitch, and the rest of the game was as perfect as you can get, without being perfect.

Well there was one mistake, but that was on the Hebrew Hammer. He attributed an RBI to a player when he shouldn't have. One of the producers caught it and it was quickly correct.

To put it in baseball terms, I pitched a no-hitter with 2 walks. I was very pleased with my performance. Out of the 4 games I've worked the big board, I've had 1 stinker, 2 solid games, and 1 no-no. In my estimation it's not that bad considering the stories I've heard about the board going black in some situations with newbies.

My suspicion that one of the game producers is a prick has been firmly cemented as reality. Between events that I've witnessed and retelling of first hand accounts by reliable sources its become pretty obvious. The latest in game situation happened Sunday when he called his assistant a fucking idiot over the headset. It seems that to him being professional is a word in the dictionary, not an active part of his daily activities.

I've got 6 games left scheduled till the end of August then I'm out. That includes 4 straight starting this Thursday. 16 hour days never felt so good.

Till next time....

No comments: